Fango got the scoop from Heretic Films and filmmaker Lance Weiler about the releases of Weiler’s new chiller HEAD TRAUMA as well as THE LAST BROADCAST, his previous feature created with Stefan Avalos. Both movies will be released to DVD by Heretic September 26, but Weiler will first be self-distributing TRAUMA (about a man who returns to his soon-to-be-demolished childhood home and is plagued by visions of murder) in 15 cities starting in August. "To me, the real issue is getting the work seen," Weiler says. "The revolution in making films has already occurred; anyone with a camera and a dream can make a movie. But the real issue is, will anyone be able to see it? Distribution has always been an obstacle, but now certain advancements in technology are allowing filmmakers to reach a wider audience. For HEAD TRAUMA, I’ve created a hybrid distribution approach that involves traditional outlets mixed with new tech." You can find out more about the movie at its official website.
BROADCAST (a verite chiller cited by many as a precursor to, and a possible influence on, THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT) will be given a brand-new special edition far more extensive than the previous independently released DVD. "THE LAST BROADCAST is not only a great horror classic which completely stands the test of time," Heretic’s Alex Afterman tells Fango, "but it has a tremendous additional appeal as the true original digital independent horror movie. Considering most films are made digitally now including most of the films in the Heretic stable we're extremely proud to bring the fans the definitive collectible DVD of the movie that started this revolution and led the way for a host of filmmakers who were shown that you can make a great horror movie without studio backing."
Afterman passed on a first look at the DVD cover seen above, as well as a collectible wraparound print by noted comic-book artist Stephen R. (SWAMP THING) Bissette, which will be printed on the inside cover. In addition to remastered picture and sound, the disc will include the following extras:
• Two audio commentaries by Weiler and Avalos
• Behind-the-scenes documentaries on the production, postproduction and distribution
• Exclusive interviews
• Fact or Fiction!: rare clips from the infamous public access cable show. • Gallery of Gore: Pine Barrens murder crime scene and autopsy images and LAST BROADCAST poster and box art from around the world
• Jim Seward Alive and Well (2 folk songs)
• Trailers for LAST BROADCAST, HEAD TRAUMA and Avalos’ GHOSTS OF EDENDALE
• 12-page booklet including a color Jersey Devil mini-comic by Bissette and the Center for Cartoon Studies, a Jersey Devil sightings map, biographies, liner notes and more
Look for details on the HEAD TRAUMA disc on this site shortly.